Monday 1 October 2012

Planning my music video

My music video will be in two different parts. One part will be the narrative which will be following our main character (played by Ben Ressa) and the other part will be footage of the band playing.

Band section


The tunnel at Claremont
Bon Jovi's "Its My Life"
For this section, I want to have a visually interesting setting, not just a boring old blackened room or a very cliche stage. Therefore, I had the idea of having the band perform in the tunnel which leads into the main school building. Although I wasn't particularly conscious of it when I first came up with the idea, I think that I most probably drew inspiration from Bon Jovi's music video "Its My Life" in which they are playing in a motor way tunnel. The fact that the tunnel is a small, cramped space, I think will also help to create a certain intimacy with the audience.
This is the kind of shot I want to be able to achieve with
the Go-Pro camera.
I have various shots in mind that I will be trying to capture in the band section. Of course, I will be getting a lot of close ups of the front man, whole band shots and shots of the individual members of the band (who will come in mainly when their instrument is prominent in the song. However, I also want to get some shots by attaching a Go Pro camera to the guitars. I saw this used in the music video for Papa Roach's "Kick in the Teeth" and thought that not only was it a great way to capture the energy of the song, but it also gave a really visually interesting kind off shot because the camera moves with the guitar and you don't see in a lot of music videos.
I am also using my band to perform as Dinosaur Pile Up and because of that I should be able to drag along a small crowd to give the impression that the band are performing a small underground/secret gig. I am in the process of making posters to help advertise this.







Narrative section

The steady cam I will be using for shooting
The storyline for my narrative section is my lead character (Ben Ressa) waking up in an obscure location, having lost his memory. The only item he has is a blank CD player and he ends up searching for a CD to fit in it. He ends up finding a Dinosaur Pile Up CD and he also finds a poster advertising an underground/secret Dinosaur Pile Up show that is on that day which at the end of the video he ends up going to. I am proud of this idea since I think it is original and will be memorable partially because it is so cliche. In the style of most alternative rock bands, I will try and create elements of comedy in the video and not take it too seriously, since I think that with the story line I have chosen, if I took it too seriously my audience may find it boring.
I will be shooting in Kingston using a Steady Cam to help make my shots smoother. I chose Kingston because people who live locally will recognise it and people who don't will be able to relate to it since it is a very average shopping town that you may get in any part of the UK.
I have also story boarded the narrative so that when it comes to shooting I will be able to remember what things I need to shoot. This may not be an issue for some people but I have a tendency to be quite forgetful.
Here I am story boarding















No comments:

Post a Comment